Bureau of Land Management Human Resources Specialist in Lakewood, Colorado
Explore a new career with the BLM – where our people are our greatest natural resource.
For additional information about the BLM, please visit our website.
This position is located at the Denver Federal Center, which is surrounded by Lakewood, Colorado. Information about the Lakewood area can be found at City of Lakewood, Colorado. Information about the Denver area can be found at About Denver.
Learn more about this agency
As one of the Staffing Specialists within the Internal Branch of Human Resources, you will support assigned organizations by:
- Providing advice to managers, supervisors, and employees regarding difficult and complex recruitment and placement actions.
- Making qualification determinations, rating and ranking applicants against crediting plans and advising subject matter experts and panels who may assist with the recruitment process. Preparing certificates of eligibles.
- Working with automated personnel systems such as the Federal Personnel Payroll System (FPPS) in effecting personnel actions and completing work assignments.
- Providing technical expertise in determining rates of pay and on using compensation flexibilities to help recruit, manage and retain employees.
- Resolving position management issues involving a variety of professional, administrative, technical, clerical and wage grade jobs. The GS-09 grade level is the developmental grade. You will be assigned duties to ensure you are able to resolve position management issues and perform the more complex recruitment & placement assignments encountered at the full performance grade, GS-11.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
All current or former federal employees with competitive/reinstatement eligibility; Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) Eligibles; Persons eligible under Special Hiring Authorities; and, all former PLC members who within the past 120 days have completed all requirements of a creditable PLC project. CTAP and ICTAP eligibles within the local commuting area may also apply.
Questions? This job is open to 3 groups.
- #### Job family (Series)
0201 Human Resources Management
- Human Resources Specialists
- Personnel Recruiters
- Recruiters, Personnel
Specialists, Human Resources
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Be sure to read the "How to Apply" & "Required Documents" Sections.
- You cannot hold an active real estate license; nor can you
- have an interest or hold stocks in firms with interest in Federal Lands.
- Direct Deposit Required.
Your resume must contain enough information to show that you meet the specialized experience as defined in the announcement or vacancy questions. In addition, your responses to the questions must be adequately reflected in your resume.
In order to be rated as qualified for this position, we must be able to determine that you meet the specialized experience requirement- please be sure to include this information in your resume.
TO QUALIFY FOR THE GS-09 GRADE LEVEL, you must satisfy one of the requirements described below:
1) SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: You must show that you have one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade level (GS-07). Examples: provides information to supervisors/ managers in response to a specific request, and explains well established policies, procedures, and standards; applies basic recruitment and placement principles, theories, methods, and techniques; provides information to employees, applicants, and selecting officials in such areas as employment opportunities, recruitment and selection procedures from the Office of Personnel Management Merit Staffing Program, and temporary hiring procedures; screens and rates applications to determine basic eligibility and qualifications for permanent and temporary positions; drafts crediting plans, vacancy announcements, selective factors, and ranking factors; processes Human Resources actions such as promotions, initial appointments, excepted appointments and promotions, reassignments, transfers, and demotions as directed; works with the Federal Personnel Payroll System (FPPS) as well as other computer systems and software in effecting personnel actions and completing work assignments.
2) EDUCATION SUBSTITUTION: You must show that you have two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or L L.B. or J.D. that is directly related to the work of this position (i.e., human resources).
3) COMBINING EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: You may meet qualifications requirement for this position by combining specialized experience and appropriate graduate education.
TO QUALIFY FOR THE GS-11 GRADE LEVEL, you must satisfy one of the requirements described below:
1) SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: You must show that you have one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade level (GS-09). Examples: In addition to the examples described above for the GS-09 grade level, your application will demonstrate experience applying advanced recruitment and placement principles, theories, methods, and techniques to assist supervisors / managers with resolving complex staffing issues/problems.
2) EDUCATION SUBSTITUTION: You must show that you have three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or L L.M. that is directly related to the work of this position (i.e., human resources).
3) COMBINING EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: You may meet qualifications requirement for this position by combining specialized experience and appropriate doctoral education.
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement. Federal employees in the competitive service are also subject to the Time-In-Grade requirement in accordance with 5 CFR 300.604. If you are a current Federal employee in the General Schedule (GS) pay plan and applying for a promotion opportunity, you must have completed a minimum of 52 weeks at the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the position being filled.
Travel and relocation expenses will notbe paid by the Department of the Interior. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the selected employee.
May require completion of a one year probationary period.
The Bureau of Land Management has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): CTAP provides eligible surplus and displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. Information about CTAP/ICTAP eligibility is available from OPM's Career Transition Resources website at CTAP or ICTAP. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP consideration or that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) This vacancy is within your CTAP/ICTAP eligibility; 2) You apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) You are found well qualified for this vacancy. You must provide proof of eligibility with your application to receive selection priority. Such proof may include a copy of your written notification of CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, or a copy of your separation personnel action form.
CTAP and ICTAP eligibles will be considered well qualified if they receive a minimum score of 90 based on the rating criteria used for this position.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Upon receipt of your complete application package, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your rating will be based on your responses to the Job Specific Questionnaire and the information stated in your resume. If qualified, your score may range from 70-100 points. In addition, interviews may be conducted for this position. The interviews may be conducted on a pass/fail basis or may be scored. The Job Specific questions relate to the following knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the work of this position:
- Knowledge of, and ability to research and interpret Office of Personnel Management (OPM), Department, and Bureau regulations, policies and practices, Federal laws, Executive Orders, and case law in order to perform a range of HR Staffing duties.
- Skill at meeting and dealing with a wide variety of people to perform the full range of staffing duties (such as, provide advice / guidance during recruitment efforts; deal with staffing and pay administration issues; identify problems and make recommendations for resolving).
- Knowledge of current HR automated systems to query, retrieve, and analyze information in order to complete work assignments.
- Knowledge of HR management and the interrelationships of separate HR functions in order to coordinate actions, provide advice and assistance.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
Resumes must show relevant experience and other information. Your resume must list your education and work experience including the dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week and salary information. Your resume will be used to validate your responses to the assessment tool(s). You are welcome to submit a cover letter (optional).
In addition to the online application (resume and responses to the questionnaire), you are required to submit the following forms:
1) Current and former federal career and career-conditional employees: submit a copy of your recent (non award) SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, or equivalent document that verifies tenure (block 24, code 1 or 2) and Competitive Status (block 34, code 1).
2) Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) eligibles: documentation verifying your CTAP/ICTAP eligibility - this includes a copy of the agency notice and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level and duty location.
3) Copy of Transcripts or a list of college courses that include hours and grades from an accredited U.S. college/university, if using education to qualify. If your degree is from a Foreign Institution, See Foreign Education.
4) Former PLC Member: Submit a copy of your “Certificate of Eligibility for Noncompetitive Hiring” along with a copy of your “PLC Participant Verification Work Hours Sheet.”
5) If you are applying for this position based on eligibility under other noncompetitive special appointing authorities, you MUST submit proof of this eligibility.
You may submit your documents either via Auto-Requested Fax or by uploading your documents from your USAJOBS Profile. Auto-Requested Fax: allows you to submit required documentation that will be electronically displayed along with your resume. Uploading Documents: instead of faxing your documents you may use the uploading procedures thru Applicant Manager. Do not use both options.
Hard copy paper supplemental documents, submitted without prior Human Resources approval, will be considered as an incomplete application.
Required documentation must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time, on the closing date of this announcement.
READ THIS: It is the responsibility of the applicant to illustrate that all eligibility requirements are met. This includes ensuring your resume / application documents specific information on each employment listed. Specifically, you must document Agency/Company Name, supervisor's name and contact information, position title, grade/series/salary, and employment dates to include month, day and year. Failure to do so may result in your application being disqualified. If you have questions regarding the necessary documentation to include, contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement prior to the closing date of the announcement.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To receive consideration for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package, which includes ALL of the following items: 1.Your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire; 2. Your resume; 3. Applicable supporting documents specified in the Required Documents section of this job announcement.
Click on the button "Apply to this Vacancy" at the bottom of this Screen and login to MY USAJOBS.
If you haven't already registered with USAJOBS, the system will require you to create a user name and password, complete a questionnaire and paste or type a resume into USAJOBS.
If you have already registered with USAJOBS and forgot your login information, select the "Did you forget your username and/or password" link.
Your application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM Eastern Time by the closing date of this announcement.
If you need assistance in applying on-line, please contact Cheryl Brooks at 303-236-0468 or email@example.com. If applying on-line poses a hardship for you (i.e. you do not have access to the internet), you must contact us prior to the closing date of the announcement for an alternative method of applying.
Agency contact information
Bureau of Land Management BLM National Operations Center, HR-210 Denver Federal Center, Building 50 Denver, Colorado United States
Learn more about this agency
You will receive notification via email, generally within 2 weeks of the closing date of the announcement, as to whether or not your name was referred to the selecting official.
You may also check the status of your application by viewing your MY USAJOBs account.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496904600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 04/16/2018 to 04/20/2018
Salary: $55,027 to $86,553 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 09 - 11
Work schedule: Full-Time - The work schedule is full-time.
Appointment type: Permanent - This is a permanent position.